Dermaplaning is a super effective exfoliating treatment in which an aesthetician uses a surgical scalpel to gently scrape off any dead skin cells on the surface of your skin along with the ‘peach fuzz’- light facials hairs on your face.
You might be wondering Why is this necessary? It is because the build-up of dead skin and microscopic hairs can make your complexion appear dull, flaky and can even cause breakouts due to clogged pores. Which is why this form of mechanical exfoliation is essential for maintaining an even, healthy glow.
It originated in the entertainment industry, where celebrities wanted to remove the peach fuzz that was showing up on HD cameras – it also provided a flawless canvas for makeup to glide over smoothly. It can also be used to help prepare skin for chemical peels or Microneedling sessions.
Contrary to popular belief, the removed hair does not grow back thicker – it will return to its pre dermaplaned state.
What are the benefits of Dermaplaning?
- Safe procedure for removing dead skin cells and soft facial hairs (“peach fuzz”) that trap dirt and oils
- Provides deeper product penetration
- Creates the perfect canvas for flawless make-up
- Promotes smoother & healthier complexion
- Diminishes the look of fine lines
- Works on almost all skins
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding safe
What does the treatment involve?
After pre-cleanse and cleanse, a disposable, single use surgical blade is moved back and forth across the skin at a 45°angle to mechanically remove dead skin cells and vellus hair to reveal an immediate smoother and brighter complexion. As an option, chemical peel then applied to remove any remaining dead skin cells, improve skin texture and tone, minimize pore size, brighten pigmentation, skin blemishes and diminish fine lines. Hydrating collagen mask then applied and serums are used to target your specific skin concerns. Here at Norman & Philip we only use genuine Dermalogica, Genosys and Silhouette Dermalift skin care products. You can choose to end your Dermaplaning session with LED light therapy to further enhance results.
The treatment is normally completed in 45-60 minutes.
Is there any downtime involved?
No, there is no downtime at all! The procedure is non-invasive and gives you an instant smoothness and glow. Although the client should have no immediate after effects and can return to normal activities, they should look after the treated skin in the following way:
- Do not go in direct sunlight for 24-48 hours after the treatment
- Use SPF sun cream factor 30+ to protect the skin from UV rays
- Make-up can be applied within 8 hours
- Moisturize the skin frequently
- For 24-48 hours avoid very high temperatures including sauna, sunbed, hot baths or showers- use tepid water & pat dry without rubbing the skin
- A collagen mask at night can enhance the reduction of fine lines
How many treatments are recommended?
Dermaplaning can be as ‘one off’ treatment, especially before special events or holidays or can be performed every 3-4 weeks to maintain healthy glow.
How much does it cost?
|Dermaplaning + Microneedling- Dermapen||£95|
Before and after